Preventing and Removing Mold and Mildew
Mold and mildew grows where there is moisture such as in the basement of your home. When this happens, health issues start to occur. The elderly, children and infants are at a great risk of developing upper respiratory infections, headaches, and congestion when exposed to this type of living conditions.
When there is water damage done in the home, this can cause mold to grow on food, wallpaper, fabric and even carpet. Mold can grow on these areas 24-48 hours from being exposed to dampness. Whatever is affected will be destroyed and this is when the health issues will begin.
There are ways that mold and mildew can be prevented, as well as removed.
- Being properly equipped with the appropriate tools is essential to battling mildew and mold. These would include: disinfectant chlorine bleach, sponge and mop, brushes and bucket, and latex gloves.
- The bathroom has more moisture than any other room in your home. To prevent mold and mildew in this part of your home you can keep this room well-ventilated and wipe down the shower after every use to minimize moisture.
- Start by vacuuming very thoroughly the area of the carpet that has been affected. After vacuuming, make sure you clean the canister on the outside or if your vacuum has a bag, then throw away at once. The following steps will have to be taken to clean the area properly:
– Mix 1 tablespoon of laundry soap and 2 cups of cold water
– Apply the mixture to the area and dampen with a cloth
– Repeat as often as needed
– Make sure the area is totally and completely dried.
By applying some preventive measures, you can keep your entire home mold and mildew free.
- Reduce the moisture in your home by using fans and dehumidifiers.
- Make sure there are no plumbing leaks.
- Regularly check for roof or ceiling leaks
- Keep all fabrics inside your home clean and dry
- If you should store items, make sure the area is dry and well ventilated.
For more details on preventing and removing mold and mildew contact Triangle Legacy at 1-800-830-3324.