4 Biggest Threats to a Healthy Home

keep a healthy house

Because we spend over 50% of our lives indoors, it is vital that you ensure that you have a healthy house. This post will go into detail about the 4 biggest threats to keeping a healthy house.

Water Intrusion

Always watch for indications of a water leak. Water intrusion signs:

  • Water spots which grow bigger over a period of time.
  • Lingering musty smell
  • Moisture or dampness droplets on hard surfaces

As you have water damage, like a flooded basement it is critical to completely clean the space and dry the carpet in order to prevent growth of mold.

Mold

Mold might be hidden in spaces such as on the back side of paneling or drywall, the top side of ceiling tiles, as well as the underside of pads and carpets, etc. Mold is a sign of the existence of moisture. Moisture control is key to controlling mold. As water spills or leaks happen inside, it is crucial that you dry any materials within 24 to 48 hours to prevent growth of mold.

VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds)

Volatile Organic Compounds are gases that are emitted into the air from specific liquids or solids. They come from various chemicals which may impact your health. Those chemicals are broadly utilized in common household products such as pesticides, disinfectants, cleaners, solvents, varnishes, paints, etc.

Volatile Organic Compounds may irritate your lungs, throat, nose, and eyes. Volatile Organic Compounds may damage the central nervous system and additional organs. In order to protect yourself from Volatile Organic Compounds, add ventilation while using products that have Volatile Organic Compounds indoors. Search for no or low Volatile Organic Compounds products.

Carbon Monoxide

This is a fatal gas that’s both taste-less and odorless. Carbon Monoxide may come from non-vented or faulty fuel-burning appliances such as:

  • Blocked flues and chimneys
  • Trucks, cars and other vehicles
  • Propane grills
  • Gas, as well as kerosene space heaters
  • Gas cooking ovens/stoves
  • Gas dryer
  • Gas water heater

The first symptoms and signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are weakness, sleepiness, headaches, confusion, and lethargy. More serious carbon monoxide poisoning may cause flu-like symptoms like vomiting and nausea. That’s why it is so important that you have a working carbon monoxide detector.

For more information on how Triangle Legacy can help with mold removal contact us today at 1-800-830-3324.