Black Mold

black mold

Black mold is potentially dangerous in a home.  Those with allergies, compromised immune systems and the elderly are especially prone to problems arising from black mold.  This month Triangle Legacy is going to take a look at black mold for this month’s blog.

Black mold, scientifically known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is a very common mold found in homes.  Like all molds, it likes dark, moist areas.  Black mold releases spores into the air and are inhaled into the lungs or absorbed through the skin.  Air circulation can also spread the mold to other areas.

Black mold is not to be ignored.  It is a toxin and needs treatment immediately upon discovery.  Here are a few signs the mold is in your home.

1. Bad smell – Black mold has a very distinctive smell.  It is pungent and musty as a rule.  You may not be able to see it, but you can certainly smell it without fail.  It may be necessary to pull parts of the wall to make sure there is or is not black mold in the home.

2. Water damage – Dark rings and spots are the most obvious signs of black mold in a home.  Granted, the spots may not be mold, but there is the chance they can be water damage.  Water damage is a precursor to mold

3. Respiratory issues – Symptoms of allergies and respiratory issues include coughing and sneezing. Other issues include watery eyes, itching and skin irritation.  If you are having these issues, have the home checked for black mold immediately.

4. Strange colors – Some can clearly see black mold; it is black.  Black mold can appear in shades – it could be orange, brown or green.  A test is the only way to be 100 percent certain.

Black mold is a serious problem and needs to be dealt with immediately.  Contact Triangle Legacy immediately if you suspect there is a black mold issue in your home.