Unfortunately, you cannot prevent the existence of mold inside your commercial building. But, it’s possible to keep it from spreading or growing. Follow these steps to keep the growth of mold at bay.
- Perform a mold assessment. Do a complete evaluation of all the potential mold-susceptible spaces in the workplace. Mold may grow within any organic compound when humidity or moisture exists. Check wallpaper, carpet, food, wood, and insulation for any mildew or mold. If you want to perform a mold test, please call on a professional.
- Keep commercial building dry. Remaining in control of code standards and building maintenance will assist in preventing the spread of mold. It’s important to conduct a check on your property and building within 24 to 48 hours after a major snow or rain storm to check if any water damage happened. Look for ice dams or roof leaks, fix and unclog gutters, and landscape the property in order for water to drain away from the structure.
- Ventilate your building properly. Have all your combustion appliances, such as stoves, ovens, water heaters, furnaces, and clothes dryers, correctly vented to the outside. Incorrectly unvented or vented appliances release heat inside the air of the building. Warm air has moisture, which is perfect for generating mold. In having those appliances vent to the exterior of the building, you’re preventing the damp air from building up and mold from spreading. To assist in ventilating the building and keeping air flowing, open windows occasionally to help release warm air and prevent stagnant, stale air.
- Use dehumidifier. If the building has poor ventilation, a basement, water stains on the ceiling, or heavy, wet air, you may have to have a dehumidifier. Having a dehumidifier filters and dries the air inside the building, and provides less dust, drier surroundings, and cleaner air, which are less hospitable for the growth of mold.
- Use indoor humidity monitor. Occasionally it is difficult to tell how much dampness is in the air. At a glance, using an indoor humidity monitor allows you to accurately track how much dampness is in the air during any given moment, in order for you to act and evaluate in a timely way to inhibit the growth of allergens.